Wednesday, 2 October 2013

Horror movie poster- Unit 3






















these are some of the fonts i think would be suitable for my chosen movie (cabin in the woods)



mood boards


































final outcome






improved design


Design Report

As part of my learning experience, I have learnt how to use adobe illustrator and how to use the pen tool to create objects, such as hands, and trees and bear traps. I learnt how to create a horror movie poster inspired by Saul Bass; by using silhouettes and minimal contrasting colours. I learnt how to blend and mix colours on the adobe illustrator, to make the objects more lifelike and realistic; I did this by using more tones and blends of colours made my poster to look more professional and individual. I learnt about which fonts and typographies go best with my horror poster, and I did this by selecting 15 fonts off of the Dafont website and by annotating them, this would help me decide which of the fonts I thought were best for my movie title. It was by selecting the most edgy and professional font that helped me decide which was best for my title.
I would have made the text a bit more noticeable by making it bigger on the shadow of the cabin, which would have made the whole poster more professional and informative for the audience. This would have shown the title more clearly to make it distinctive. I also would have made spent more time on the development of the poster by showing more contrast; this would have made the poster look more outstanding and enticing for the audience to look at as I would have developed my hand even further and this would have made it look more realistic and bold. This would also make the poster look more interesting and more attractive for them to look at. It does not need a lot of improvements; this is because I think it is Saul Bass who inspired the theme of things that looks simple but are effective.
I feel that the Saul Bass style is good to use for the horror movie poster; however it does restrict the amount of detail you can add.  The Saul Bass style is minimal as he uses simple objects to illustrate objects. Personally, I would use more detail to gain a gorier and more professional look for the poster, on the other hand with Saul Bass you don’t have to do that to obtain the image you’re looking for as he just uses silhouettes and simple objects with one or two colours to create a simple but professional poster. The Saul Bass style is less time consuming as you don’t have to add as much detail to your final product, but you still have to develop your ideas otherwise, it will not have the same professional feel to it; as I do detailed sketches and drawing I like to add as much detail as I can so when I create a poster I like it to be as refined as possible.
I enjoyed this project because, I found the Saul Bass style quite easy to manipulate and design with, it is easy to come up with an object or silhouette in his style as it is simple but effective. The silhouettes have to be recognisable and professional otherwise they won’t attract as many people. The Saul Bass style is really professional and has a simple way of creating posters or designs, which I will use to inspire some of my future designs.  However; I prefer to add more detail and refine my designs even further to give them more of an edge.  
In conclusion; I feel I used my time well and created an outstanding and professional poster, I do think however,  I could have developed more colour contrasts, by trying out different colour sequences so in my future designs I will spend more time on my research and development, and structure a better outcome.
I would rate myself a 7/10. 


No comments:

Post a Comment